Tuesday, January 6, 2015

The Path to THE 100 WORD DASH

Its funny sometimes where things take you.

I started to dabble in something called flash fiction about two years ago. I was recently retired and looking for ways to expand my interest in creative writing, but didnt want to create a whole new job or career. I was just looking for meaningful ways to express myselflike many writers, I suppose.

I began experimenting with 100-word stories. Almost all of them related to things I observed about college and sports during my career as a professor. I posted these short masterpieces on my Facebook Page every now and then, and was perfectly content.

Shortly thereafter, Flash Fiction Magazine graciously offered me a page on their site. I felt I needed to write more frequently to justify their hospitality, so I did (and still do). Every three days or so, I post a new story there. My focus initially remained on college and sports. After all, thats what I knew.

Months later I stumbled across a very welcoming and talented group of writers and bloggers participating in the Carrot Ranch Flash Fiction Challenge. The leader, +Charli Mills, offers a thoughtful writing prompt each week and invites all writers to join. As you might expect, the prompts are all over the place. This expanded my horizons and challenged me to be more creative. I began writing more about life in general, sometimes even giving a voice to inanimate objects.

The management professor in me required some organization of these emerging stories. I decided to write more and maintain them as files in a Scrivener project as though they were chapters in a book. Now they aresort of.

THE 100 WORD DASH is a simple collection of one hundred 100-word stories resulting from the activities described above. (Also included is a bonus short story that has special meaning to me.) 

Theres plenty about college and sports in the collection, but also a heavy dose of stories about life as well. 


The way I got here is a story about life too.





2 comments:

  1. College, sports and life in general--this collection of 100 word stories crosses the finishing line. Congratulations on your anthology and discovering that even H2O has a story to tell!

    ReplyDelete