Friday, May 16, 2014

Why Fiction Writing and Golf Don't Mix

My advice is to pick one. Don’t do both. Fiction writing and golf don’t go together.

The reason can be stated in one simple word:

Tension.

Fiction writers thrive on tension. They seek it out in life so they can observe and understand it. Then they exploit it in their story telling. Without tension among characters, fiction would be boring. A writing group I follow is working on creating more tension and twists in their story telling. It’s essential for fiction writers.

Golfers avoid tension like the plague. Tension causes muscles to tighten, thereby ruining the fluid swing needed for good golf. Golfers constantly try to reduce tension. Golf magazines I read contain articles and “how to” tips on eliminating tension in the grip and swing. It’s a killer for golf.

Trust me, you can’t turn this tension thing on and off as you move from your writing desk to the golf course.

Having said all that, I’ll probably ignore my own advice and continue to muddle along doing both.

At least now everyone will understand that my deteriorating golf game is not my fault.

That’s my story, anyway.


***********
Follow me on Facebook and Flash Fiction Magazine.


1 comment:

  1. This is so true and explains why I can't golf! Recently I was on a plane that had a mechanical malfunction. We made an emergency landing hundreds of miles from our destination. As more tension unfolded I got out my laptop and started writing! I may not have a good golf swing, but I can recognize a good story brewing!. Great comparison!

    ReplyDelete